Character First render with Vray - a skin test

Discussion in 'W.I.P' started by sainsy, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Schawk

Schawk MC2015

It's getting there. Maybe try adding some more colour scattering, using an existing a real map of a face overlaid would help, as the skin looks too uniform giving it a waxy feel or the lookof too much foundation. The eyes are looking good too!
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    sainsy likes this.
  2. sainsy

sainsy New Member

Thanks Schawk - I have tried to use maps in the sss1, 2, and 3 channels (ALSurface) but they don't appear to do anything, am I missing something?
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 6, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 5, 2017 ---
    OlympiaEye3.jpg
    Vision4Next likes this.
  3. Vision4Next

Vision4Next MC2015

Definitely getting better and better. I think what Schwak means is the fact that your skin color is very uniform. Normally you see some color variations and at least slight veins. Also some peach fuzz might help.
    sainsy likes this.
  4. Schawk

Schawk MC2015

Exactly right. I can't say if the Digital Emily I have worked on is right but you could compare settings. I posted the settings I used for the AlShader on my Digital Emily post.
    The only thing I changed was to directional instead of diffuse on my latest render. Also double check your scale is correct as this will make a big difference.
    sainsy likes this.
  5. sainsy

sainsy New Member

Started from scratch with a new model - Daz>zBrush>C4D - also some minor photoshopping and some soft focus Tried to also introduce some more skin imperfections.

Thank you for advice, feedback and tips - always appreciated

Agata2.jpg
  6. Vision4Next

Vision4Next MC2015

I'm not sure, if you are going into the right direction. I liked the eyelids on the previous one better. I also think the overall skin on the previous one was better. It looks like you used a bit too much SSS on this one. Especially on the nose tip. Just my opinion.
  7. Rectro

Rectro Active Member

@sainsy Its cool to see what your doing with DAZ3D figures. Id Take her into your sculpting app and take out the symmetry. I know it has nothing to do with the skin directly, but its the first thing I notice before looking at anything else. The rim light is too hot on the left side of her head, and not enough light on the right unless a GI look is what your after rather than high contrast. I would also take the texture map for the face into photoshop and add some additional skin pigmentation layers.

Dan
  8. sainsy

sainsy New Member

Thanks Vision4Next and Dan - really appreciate it, there's only so many times you can re-render,tweak,re-render before you go mad and stop seeing - top tips.

@Rectro
    - Regarding symmetry, do you mean expression, physical features, or something else.
    - Not sure what I was after with the lighting, I suppose a mix of sss in the ears and some shadow on the skin details.
    - The skin pigmentation you achieved with Miki - have you had any success with that and the ALShader - the only way I can get layered textures to work is layering them in the Diffuse map channel

Brian
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 14, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 12, 2017 ---
    I have ditched the original model and returned to the first one. Have put some subtle extra details in - thanks all for your advise :)

I'm gonna break from the skin now, and try and put some hair in - using Dan's tutorials (thanks) OlympiaNew4.jpg
    Schawk likes this.
  9. Vision4Next

Vision4Next MC2015

A vast improvement in my opinion. The skin looks quite natural and I like the blue tint beneath the eyes.
    sainsy likes this.
  10. stefan

stefan main admin here:-)

this looks VERY real!
    sainsy likes this.
  11. Rectro

Rectro Active Member

That last render is looking much better. Symmetry wise I meant to remove the make one side slightly different to the other such as eye lids slightly different shape, nose off to one side, even subtle things. The Miki I did was realy to learn all the skin systems in general rather than go for a peice of art, im working on my own sculpt right now, but its takes forever it seems. Maybe I will put Miki through ALSurface if I get time. I think what you got going is coming on realy well. My personal challenge is to get a real skin by hand painting maps, and sculpting, I know the skin methods enough now to get what im after.

Keep going. Dan
    sainsy likes this.
  12. sainsy

sainsy New Member

Cheers buddy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 19, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 15, 2017 ---
    That's it - think I'm done on this project. Been fun

OlympiaHair2.jpg
    stefan likes this.
  13. Vision4Next

Vision4Next MC2015