Character Emily 2 with Al Shader

Discussion in 'W.I.P' started by Schawk, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Schawk

Schawk MC2015

Emily_Scene_Post_V3.jpg Adding the darker iris ring works a treat Dan, also darkening around the pupil has added a bit more realism. The devil is in the detail.
    I notice when mirroring the image the model is a little askew, something isn't quite right.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Vision4Next likes this.
  2. Rectro

Rectro Active Member

Yea, there is somthing about the dark ring around the Iris that gives it a nice touch, I do add it all the time even if its not there much on the original Iris. To ad that even extra bit of detail id add some nasal hair, just a little. The mirror of a face just shows Asymmetrical differences that can look odd unless the person has a very symmetrical face. I cant view the attachment 20412, it shows a error.

Dan
  3. Schawk

Schawk MC2015

Hi Dan, I've re-uploaded it.
  4. Vision4Next

Vision4Next MC2015

Definitely getting better with each iteration. Have to find the time to play around myself.
    Schawk and Dan, you're my heroes!
    Schawk likes this.
  5. Schawk

Schawk MC2015

Emily_Scene_Post_AlHair3.jpg Emily_Scene_Post_AlHair_small.jpg Emily_Scene_Post_AlHair2_small.jpg
    Back to Emily again. Playing with the new Al Hair shader, plus lighting and skin tests.
    The new Hair shader is certainly different. I'm not sure if I prefer it just yet.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    JayH, Vision4Next and stefan like this.
  6. Rectro

Rectro Active Member

The ALHair looks great, iv been working with it, but man the render times double. I found using the hair info shader for the colour with random hair two colour tone bias to darker gives it the edge you may be after. Im working on a project now using it, and the ALhair does look very nice. Iv got to spend much more time with it to know all the settings but so far looks awesome. Glad you revisited her again, she looks great. Id remove a little of the reflection from the upper lip, Philtrum area myself.

Dan
  7. Schawk

Schawk MC2015

Emily_Scene_Post_AlHair4.jpg Hey Dan,

I have been working on it some more this morning and getting some much better results. Although it takes longer to render it's definitely worth the extra render times for sure.
    The AlHair shader makes more sense in use than the vray hair shader, as does the AlSkin shader and seem to achieve more realistic and predictable results I would say.
    Thanks for the tip with the hair info shader I will give it go. I did try using it in the melanin/hair colour slot attempting to get a darker root to lighter hair ends and it didn't seem to do what I was after.
    Playing with the randomisation section, hue and melanin, gives some good variation too, as long as you use very small numbers. I will post some tests later on.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  8. Rectro

Rectro Active Member

I found adding the Vray TextureHairInfo to the Dye Color works a treat . I set the Color A to a dark color, and Color B to my highlight or secondary colour. Bias at 0.12 towards the Dark. I use this as Random by Stand id, is also good to add grey tints of hair.

Dan
    Schawk likes this.
  9. Schawk

Schawk MC2015

Emily_Scene_Post_AlHair6.jpg Emily_Scene_Post_AlHair5.jpg Hi Dan,

Tried the first suggestion as attached. Really impressed with the realism. Thanks for the tips. I will try the next one tomorrow if I have time.
    I just need to get the hair styling right.
    sirio likes this.
  10. Rectro

Rectro Active Member

Another tip that iv found out to be use full is use a Thickness map for hair, this gives a nice soft falloff for the hair line edges, also works great for eyebrows.

Dan
  11. stefan

stefan main admin here:-)

your skin is getting amazing good! (hair has room yet to improve "me thinks")
  12. Schawk

Schawk MC2015

View attachment 21164 Emily_Scene_Post_AlHair7.jpg View attachment 21163 Emily_Scene_Post_AlHair8.jpg

Thanks Stefan. Still working on the hair. The Al Hair shader is really something.

Hey Dan, Thanks again for the tips. I have used maps for the density, not thought to use on thickness, will give a try.
    Latest 2 here I've played with the texture hair info in the melanin channel and feel it's a little more natural.
    I also added some hairline hair and played with the pony tail. Struggling with the hair material, styling. Not quite getting the control I'm after. Can't get rid of the bumpiness.
    Given time I may start from scratch.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    stefan and Vision4Next like this.
  13. Vision4Next

Vision4Next MC2015

I really think this hair improved. Not bad.
  14. Schawk

Schawk MC2015

Thanks Vision4Next. Although it's way too shiny still. Plenty of room for improvement. Love the way you get the individual coloured strands of hair.
    Really loving this shader! If I can just get a believable enough hairstyle to do it justice...
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 14, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 9, 2017 ---
    Another one, this time I have comped the provided micro displacement map with the displacement map. The devil is in the detail. Emily_Scene_Post_AlHair10.jpg
    superduper, datamilch, stefan and 2 others like this.
  15. Rectro

Rectro Active Member

Very nice detail. How do you com 2 displacement maps in vray or do you merge them in photoshop?

Ps. What's your render times on larger image?

Dan
  16. Schawk

Schawk MC2015

Photoshop. I tried the micro map in the Al Shader bump channel but it just killed the specularity. So brought it down to around 2% inPShop for it to show. I had attempted previously to layer the shader in Vray but it didn't seem to work.

That last render was around 25minutes. DR with 3 old power macs. benchmark for all 3 would be about 1500.
    Rectro likes this.
  17. Rectro

Rectro Active Member

I found when putting bump or normal maps of high fine detail I have low strength 0.4 or lower as like yourself it kills spec. When reading the manual on the bump there are several one for different channels at least how iv read it. In that case overall bump gives different results to bump in the spec channel.

Dan
  18. Vision4Next

Vision4Next MC2015

Great results! Love the details.
  19. datamilch

datamilch MC2015

holy crap! this is so good.

*cough* how about some eye fluid?
  20. stefan

stefan main admin here:-)

can we use that images on our gallery? they are superb!