HQ Grass vol.1

Plugin - Refractive Index Importer

Discussion in 'Cool Things for VRAY' started by mrwhite, Jun 13, 2017.

1. mrwhite

mrwhite MC2015

2. stefan

stefan main admin here:-)

You can also just use the complex ior osl shader included in vray and enter the n and k balues from regractive index.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  3. stefan

looked the video, seems cool. actually it is for V-Rayforc4d and automatically adjusts the RGB curves in colormapping tab.
  4. Pixelwolf

Pixelwolf MC2015

Yepp, I made a quick test and it works great.
  5. stefan

still the vray osl complex ior shader might be easier to use and does the same:)
    martijnlambada likes this.
  6. gr4ph0s

gr4ph0s New Member

Hi as the author of the plugin. firstly thanks for sharing it ! Any feedback is welcome !
    About the history I have made this plugin 10 months ago while vray complexe ior shader didn't exist.
    But you are 100% right, now it's a bit outdated since you integrate complexe ior.

I want to add is not particular to vray. You can use it in any render engine.
    I only map it to vray using SetDriver/SetDriven.
    I used in Arnold. But again in arnold 5 they implement their own complexe shader.
    For other render engine I don't know them as much, but i'm sure you can implement it simply using a facing ratio and doing a ramp curve for each channel.
    martijnlambada and Pixelwolf like this.
  7. stefan

great plugin! still nice you made that:)

as for v-ray , as said it already has that in since 3.4 via the complex IOR shader(osl)
  8. Pixelwolf

Pixelwolf MC2015

Great to learn every day something new about vray :) But I canĀ“t find the "complex IOR shader(osl)" or am I dumb?
  9. stefan

Pixelwolf likes this.
  10. stefan

11. Pixelwolf

Pixelwolf MC2015

12. Schawk

Schawk MC2015

No OSL for OSX??
  13. jopa79

jopa79 MC2015

No!
  14. stefan

Chaosgroup yet has no support for OSl on OSX. i heard it is coming, but we have it not in the sdk yet, also not in the newest 3.6 we use.
  15. arkitekt

arkitekt MC2015

is there anywhere a tutorial how to build an osl shader? created an osl shader and loaded the complex ior file - didnt work. on the refractiveindex site i couldnt find the values for rgb, anyway, i just dont get it .. thx for your help :)
  16. RwVision

RwVision Active Member

Is there an issue with current vray and osl shaders, or I might be missing some libs? I get only black result from complexior osl and any other osl script.

You must calculate the separate RGB values in the refrectiveindex site:

"n - the n values for the red/green/blue wavelengths (f.e. 0.65, 0.55 and 0.45 micrometers)."

Attached Files:

17. stefan

OSL shaders work fine in 3,4 or 3.5,just load th shaderand insert n and k value.

if you get black,maybe install also the standalone local. your OS might need some needed libs, and OSL is very picky about beeing able to load all needed libs.
  18. matossilva

matossilva MC2015

how can you get those IPR constantly updating your material? ;)
  19. stefan

color chanes or within one shader is possible, but full only once chaosgropup makes the needed c4d node for full interactivity of mats
    (thats said i heard from Blago from CG today he might have a solution for the c4d gpu bump as first step)
    matossilva likes this.