scenected

Vray 3.6 & 12 GB GTX TITAN X Maxwell

Discussion in 'Off_Topic' started by iac, Aug 6, 2017.

1. iac

iac MC2015

Hi,

My friend is selling his 12 GB GTX TITAN X Maxwell video card, it will helpful in fast view port and rendering in Mac Pro...?

and what you suggest... more invest in old machine or wait for new iMac Pro....?

Thanks.

--- Double Post Merged, Aug 7, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 6, 2017 ---
    Now I have Sapphire HD7950, in comparison to this, GTX TITAN X will be much helpful in fast render OR not much difference....?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  2. sirio

sirio Well-Known Member

For viewport it won't help that much. For rendering it may help depending on your scene setup but GPU rendering is still not feature complete.
  3. stefan

stefan main admin here:-)

a titan x renders very fast yes, but cpu too. here my dual xeon E5 2697 renders same speed as 2 titan x cards p.e
    as said by Sirio, vray gpu yet not supports all features though.
  4. iac

iac MC2015

Thanks for your suggestion.
    GPU is not fully supported yet so its better wait for new iMac Pro.... it will be much better than this only card?

5. stefan

imac pro has amd cards as far i know, as far i see the imac pro is a lot slower than dual xeons, so will be a lot slower than a titanX.
  6. sirio

sirio Well-Known Member

The iMacPro will not be a lot slower;)
    It's just limited to a single Xeon up to 18core/36thread so it will probably end up reaching near or above 3000 Cinebench points depending on the clock, and that is a very respectable results for a single socket system(for comparison a dual 2697 should reach less than 5000points for the V4 , less than 4000 for the V3 and 3000points for the V2 version).
    It will be pricey though, so I'll personally wait till 2018 for a new dual Xeon machine, or alternatively buy a single socket system with some render slave.
  7. stefan

well 18 cores is not extreme fast at least, my 3 year old xeon has 3000cb, my newer machine is the E5 2697.

but all is relativ, it will be a fast mac, yes.

by the way on PC side, the single AMD Epyc is said to be almost as fast as dual 2699.- but priced 50% of it only,
    Chaosgroup has one sample test on their vray benchmark. hope this test proofs true.
    i personally wait for it to be released and probably get one when it is available.(also in our shop 3dtools we will offer them).
    for apple it might be great to use the epyc as it is super fast with 1 socket already.

https://benchmark.chaosgroup.com/cpu
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  8. iac

iac MC2015

Thanks guys for your suggestions.
    Its like wow and confusing, I have to stick with my Mac pro 12 core or new iMac Pro which is single core.
    Xeon many processors.... a big line this and that and blah blah blah....! which have to choose no idea.
    Chaosgroup benchmark list.... xeon V4 is slower than V3, with every graphic card different speed.

I am not looking for a big render difference, a little better speed than this. In my system I dont think I can change 12 core to 18 or 24 core, processor 12 core will remain same, graphic card can be upgrade, 64 gb ram already enough.
    1- If change graphic card and get same render result as iMac Pro... then better change card (12 GB GTX TITAN X) and stick with my Mac Pro.
    2- If after changing card... it will be slower than iMac Pro... no need to change card then. I will go for new Mac.

Which option... 1 or 2....?

Thanks.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 8, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 7, 2017 ---
    I think better.... wait till December.... will go for Mac Pro... which I am sure will be better than 2012 Mac Pro 12 core.

9. sirio

sirio Well-Known Member

@stefan
    I've seen quite a few Epyc benchmark(including Vray, Corona and Cinebench), they are usually 20% faster than 2699V4, for other tasks where RAM is more important they can be even faster.

@iac
    No matter what you upgrade on your old MP it will always be slower than a new iMacpro, single thread speed is essential for many tasks including viewport performance and even a good laptop will outperform your system in this regard. Upgrading the GPU will not affect viewport speed that much nor standard CPU rendering, it may boost render performance only if you plan to go for a full featured GPU renderer.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    iac likes this.
  10. stefan

see the epyc mark inthe chaosgroup bench link.

there their single cpu epyc sample was faster than a dual E5 2699v4. (20sec epyc, 24sec dual xeon)
    if that is no error the epyc migt have quite a very nice price/speed ratio. of course all test before a release cant be verified, but i hope epyc comes out soon(actually was intended for end of june)
    iac likes this.
  11. sirio

sirio Well-Known Member

It's a dual Epyc system, you can see that by the total core number(128) ;)
  12. stefan

ah ok then i had misread this, i will check:)
  13. rojharris

rojharris Member

I have a mac pro with dual Titan X's and although its very fast for GPU rendering like Octane, it makes no difference in VRay. In fact the single thread performance in Cinema is terrible and although VRay is very fast even with my old dual Xeons (in some cases faster than the twin titans!) you'll be much better off getting a better CPU. I was thinking about the iMac pro but I've now decided to go PC and build a Threadripper based system. That should give me decent single thread for Cinema day to day performance and also really fast VRay speed.
    I can't afford an Epyc but I'll be happy with a CB of 3000! from the TR. I personally wouldn't bother getting the Titan unless you really want to do GPU rendering with other software (and why would you?). The Nvidia card will not work with Prorender on the mac either, so won't help you when R19 is out. Trust me, I have tried Octane, IRAY and Redshift on my twin Titan X's and V-Ray is almost as fast and sometimes faster and of course looks many times better! I can't wait to see how fast it is on the Threadripper. :)