Interesting observation - possibly not vray related

Discussion in 'Off_Topic' started by Vision4Next, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Vision4Next

Vision4Next MC2015

I went from my old Eizo monitor (1920x1200) to a new one (4k) and was very happy about the huge amount of space that I suddenly had.

- I fired up Cinema 4D R18 with a simply Vray 3.5 scene (just two simple objects for shader testing and a physical sky). Unfortunately Cinema 4D froze almost immediately.
    - Next I opened Cinema 4D with a blank scene, changed from full screen to a slightly smaller window and loaded the same Vray scene. That worked fine. As soon as I chnged to full screen -> bang!

I have a Quadro 2000 graphics card, which is some years old and wondered, if this can be an issue. I went to the C4D preferences and looked at the OpenGL Antialiasing settings. They are at 8 by default and I switched them to None.

Now there was no more freezing and everything went smooth so far, even in full screen. Honestly with 4k I don't care about the Antialiasing in OpenGL. Just wanted to state this here, in case someone else has a similar issue with an older graphics card. If your C4D freezes at hires, just try to set the OpenGL Antialiasing in preferences to None.
  2. stefan

stefan main admin here:-)

vray works fine on 4 k, also c4d. we have that here on some pcs.

migtb be your card is too weak, switch AA to non eif you have a slow/old quaddro card
  3. sirio

sirio Well-Known Member

Also be careful when using denoiser with that card, one of my student wasn't able to use hardware acceleration on large render(4K) because of the GPU RAM limits.
  4. Vision4Next

Vision4Next MC2015

Thanks for the warning sirio,

I planned to get a new workstation next year with a 1080 Ti. This should sort out the issues and finally bring me to GPU rendering. Still struggeling, if I go the Xeon, AMD or Core I7 route. I only know that I definitely will have at least 128 GB RAM :)
  5. sirio

sirio Well-Known Member

Seems unlikely you will need 128GB, 64 should be more than enough for most people(unless you like to keep many RAM hungry apps open at the same time), you will always be able to install more if needed.
    Depending on your budget I think the Threadripper 1950X is a great option for the price, i9 performance are great too but for ~10% more render power you need to pay twice as much, price/performance ratio of dual Xeon systems is becoming less appealing every year.
    Vision4Next likes this.
  6. stefan

stefan main admin here:-)

Indeed i didnt meet yet any scene that needed more than 64gb, even extreme ince fut into that usually.
    Vision4Next likes this.
  7. hitman60

hitman60 Member

You can stick with i9 7980XE, I'm very happy with it, 3760 in Cinebench
    2017-12-01_133817.jpg
    Vision4Next likes this.
  8. Vision4Next

Vision4Next MC2015

Rendering landscapes is very RAM hungry. But you may be right and I start with 64 GB. Threadripper 1950X is definitely on my list. i9 7980XE is also good, but quite power hungry. Nevertheless the Cinebench does look good.
    Thanks for the tips. They are highly welcome.