HQ Grass vol.1

The Intel Meltdown and Spectre kernel fix and slowdowns

Discussion in 'Off_Topic' started by RwVision, Jan 6, 2018.

1. RwVision

RwVision Active Member

Hi Guys,

As many of you should be aware of what has been released over this week:
    https://hackaday.com/2018/01/05/lets-talk-intel-meltdown-and-spectre/

It sounds like our CPU's can be efficiently slowed down (5-30%) , due the new kernel fixes in operating systems.

Did anyone test yet, or have information how this fix will affect our renderings?
    If it even would be a 5% loss, I'm not even thinking of updating the system.

Epic games server machines are already experiencing huge slowdowns:

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/forums/news/announcements/132642-epic-services-stability-update
  2. stefan

stefan main admin here:-)

i tested my home pc win 7, 16 cpore dual xeon:

before update CB 2549
    after the update: CB 2545

so really only a marginal effect here in my test.
    i think the 30% some people have written are for databased applications that need a lot of disc writing
    RwVision likes this.
  3. RwVision

RwVision Active Member

Ok, that sounds like a relief for my xeon - thanks Stefan!

But I'm curious about others also
  4. stefan

on monday i will test my office PC (56core dual xeon)
    and also my amd threadrippers, even though it is not affected the win update change is same for all so could in theory affedct both platforms(i hope not)
  5. Vision4Next

Vision4Next MC2015

The update for a lot of PCs will be distributed during the next week. So there will be another update and we will see in future, how slow the systems will become.
    They may be some problems with antivirus software as well. Kaspersky will provide a patch till Jan, 9th.
  6. stefan

Yes it might need more updates, I hope it will not give extra slowdowns....
  7. RwVision

RwVision Active Member

So we're not clear yet...
  8. stefan

well clearness is impossible in that case, and also depends how much security you need.
    the speed loss seems also depend on age of cpu, so older will loose more, never only marginal one tech paper wrote

i read that real sucurity is only if you totally exchange the old cpus with new future ones.
  9. Vision4Next

Vision4Next MC2015

I planned to get a new workstation this year. Seems I have to wait a bit...
    By the way: AMD chips seem to be slightly better than Intel chips. The 3 found vulnerabilities seem to affect most Intel chips, but only one vulnerability is definitely a problem for AMD as well. A second one is still under investigation, but according to AMD it is unlikely that the chips are affected.
    Nevertheless I fear that the OS patches might not take the CPU type in account. The problem is that HW related operations will be done in software (which slows the OS down), probably even if it is not needed CPU wise. Maybe AMD will take care about it and this may be another pro AMD argument in future.
  10. RwVision

RwVision Active Member

"Old" cpu's should now drop like 50% in price... but I don't see it happening:)

If there will be a major slowdown - imagine all bigger and smaller rendering farms dropping down in efficiency. Even home made farms, which are mostly done on cheap/older i7's and xeons.

Let's wait and see
  11. RwVision

RwVision Active Member

Any updates on that anyone?
  12. stefan

i still see no slowdown, did all updates i did get from MS
    RwVision likes this.